Friday, September 26, 2008

Oh What a Night

late December, back in '63. :)

Last night was a night. I thought it was going to be a rountine go-to-work and come home for The Office night. God sure had other plans. The Office was well over when we got home.

It was about 5:35 and I woke up on the floor of Pottery Barn Kids. I freaked all the employees and customers out when I fainted. I hit my head pretty bad on the floor and when I woke up the EMT was already called and on the way. It was extremely bizarro. Kind of like the backwards episode of Seinfeld.

I was put in a neck collar and inflatable body cast and taken to the emergency room. A couple things freaked me out...
1. What is wrong with this body?
2. I had never been in an ambulance much less been the person who needed it!
3. I had never given blood or had a blood test done.
4. I was in a body suit that was inflatable
5. I had to go to the bathroom extremely bad.

Upon arriving to the ER, they put an IV in (my number 3 fear) and started blood tests. After many hours of waiting and many questions if I was prego (I'm not), the doctor finally returned to tell me I am highly anemic. My body doesn't produce enough blood, basically. He said my "tank" was half full, literally. He recommended a blood transfusion. I guess I didn't make my mind up in time b/c his shift was over and he left me to another doctor. This doctor wasn't so quick to give me a transfusion but instead perscribed me with iron pills. My pregnant friends have told me these aren't the greatest pills. They cause interesting GI problems. I think blood is a little more important than the other.

It was scary but God is good and gave me family to surround me as I had to make decisions about other people's blood (transfusion, etc.). Now I just have to get used to a diet rich in iron so my body naturally produces it.

Oh what a night!

3 comments:

Taflinger said...

Michelle!! SHut UP!! WHat a scary night for you. Here are some foods high in iron:

clams,tofu, raisin bran, sirloin steak, shrimp, black beans, chickpeas, turkey breast, bread, whole wheat, chicken breast-
Now don't make me worry about you here in Kokomo!! Glad you are okay

Aubrey said...

Mom told me about what happened. How scary. I'm glad everything is ok, though and that you survived the long hours in the ER. Take a stool softener with with iron pills. You'll thank me later. But if you do have any questions or anything, please call me.

Kellee Flatt said...

Wow! I'm glad you're doing some better. About 2 years ago, my mom became not anemic but just plain old iron deficient. The end result they found out she has celiac disease, meaning she has an allergy to the gluten in wheat.

We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers, and pray that it all continues to get better and go smoothly.